Monday 18 February 2013

Zaha Hadid

When you mention Hadid's name and her work, what I think about is the elongated structures with powerful and curving forms throughout, definitely pushing a futuristic style. Much like the other architects I admire and blog about, what I like about Zaha Hadid's work is how cutting edge it looks, and that her designs are never simple geometric forms, they always have aspects of them which push the boundaries of architecture as we know it. This is something that I wish to practise in my work in the future, designing with nothing holding me back, allowing me to create something that will wow people for many years to come.
 
The designs that I like the most from Hadid's work are Regium Waterfront, Pierres Vives building and the Heydar Aliyev Cultural Centre. Particularly the last one, what I like about it is how it looks like the outer shell of the building is just draped over the skeleton structure of it and how all the curves just flow into each other making it very aesthetically pleasing on the eye.
 
One of her buildings that I have been exposed to over the summer, was the Aquatics Centre for the London 2012 Olympics. This is typical of her work has it features the powerful curving forms many people relate to her, and it's a building which has helped leave a lasting legacy on East London. This is due to the timelessness of the design, for many many years to come it will look new and contemporary and I think with today's architects, this is something that they are all trying to aspire to, to create a design which will be held in the highest regards for several decades.
 
 
 
"It is insufficient for architecture today to directly implement an existing building typology; it instead requires architects to carefully examine the whole area with new interventions and programmatic typologies" 

No comments:

Post a Comment