Tuesday 8 January 2013

UCAS

So now, I reach my final steps of applying and going to University and for my course, the most important stage! The interview. Yes, you may have an amazing personal statement, but if you can't draw or you aren't what the tutors are after because of your portfolio, then it doesn't matter, so to me your portfolio is make or break.
 
During the next couple of months before attending my interviews, I'll be preparing my portfolio for interview. At this stage I haven't really constructed one and all my work is just dotted around, but I'll be choosing the best of my college work, and making slight changes to them, to be in my portfolio, along with designs I've done in my free time. I feel that I'm at a better stage this time than when I was in 6th form for going to interviews, and this is for two reasons. Firstly, my work is a much better standard than it was two years ago, but secondly and most importantly, I know what the tutors are looking for! Because I've been in contact with them both through the UCAS fair in Manchester, and when talking to them about entry onto the second year, which wasn't successful unfortunately. The people that I spoke to both told me the same thing in what they're looking for, 'Design Cycle'. They want to see where your ideas come from, and the process involved from taking it from just an idea, into development stages and then you're final design. Knowing what I need to have in my portfolio is a great difference to where I was two years ago, not knowing and just taking my school work and some drawings of buildings. But now I have a much better opportunity to further my education and get closer to becoming an Architect.
 
I've used 4 of my 5 available choices, apply for Architecture at Leeds Met and Huddersifield, and Architecture Technology at again, Leeds Met and Huddersfield. Which ever course I attend, I'll be living at home, so in a way Leeds Met would be first choice, as it'd be more convienent to commute to each day, however commuting isn't that much of an issue, as shown over the last two years, going from Pudsey to Halifax!
 
I shall blog in the not so long future, about what happens with my interviews and how I feel they go.



No comments:

Post a Comment